Spray tanning is a great service to offer as a new beauty business owner or alongside your other services within your existing business. One reason we absolutely love this service is because of its inclusivity! When offering spray tanning, you can be sure that you’re able to cater to a diverse clientele, regardless of body size, shape, or ethnicity.
Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for you to encounter women with larger body types who feel hesitant about spray tanning, typically due to the initial vulnerability that comes from a first time spray tan experience. We've all been there, stepping into a spray tan tent for the first time, feeling a tad bit uncomfortable with a near-stranger looking at our bare bodies. It's perfectly normal, but as a dedicated Glow Boss, your role is to put your clients at ease, ensuring a pleasant and comfortable experience.
Running a sunless tanning business introduces you to a wide array of people. Hence, it's crucial to be well-prepared to accommodate all body types. Your goal is to ensure that every client walking into your salon or mobile tent leaves with the best results possible, while feeling as though their service provider genuinely cares to offer a comfortable appointment process for them.
It's time to elevate your clients' spray tanning experience, here are some expert tips to help you achieve the best results while spray tanning client’s with plus-size body types:
1. With clients that have a larger chest, you should start by spraying under the breasts by having the client reach their arms fully above their head. After spraying and drying this area completely, apply finishing powder to the area in order to minimize smudging or transfer of the solution. It’s important to communicate expectations during this process. Since larger breasts will create skin to skin contact, there’s no way to ensure that there will not be any disruption to the tan where the skin touches.
2. Thoroughly drying your clients is essential, as skin-to-skin contact can lead to smudging and increased sweating.
3. If you notice any signs of sweating, swiftly wipe and dry the area before resuming the spray tan. Sweat can affect the tan's development and result in unevenness. Also, consider using the X-TAN Blending Brush for quick fixes. When using the Blending Brush, spray the brush lightly with prep spray or spray tan solution to help reactivate the solution on the body for a more seamless blend.
4. Guide your clients to position in ways that will stretch their skin to help you reach all areas of the body effortlessly. For instance, have them stretch to one side to smooth out wrinkles and crevices before spraying. Ensure to thoroughly dry these areas after spraying where the client has stretched, especially if your client is noticeably warm to reduce any transfer of product.
5. Larger body types may generate more heat, so it can be beneficial to have a fan running or maintain a cooler room temperature to help with client comfort. This also allows the tan to dry during the tanning process for a better development and result overall.
6. Post-spray, apply powder to the entire body to prevent solution transfer and smudging. Powdering immediately after tanning specific areas, such as in between any skin folds on the sides of the body, can also prevent transfer. Specifically focus powder on the areas that will touch while the client is in a resting position, particularly under the arms or between the legs.
All body types deserve to feel the radiance of a fresh bronze glow! We'd love to hear if these tips were useful for you in your pursuit to elevate your spray tan technique! For a more in-depth understanding of catering to clients with larger body types, register for the Spray Tan Class Master’s Spray Tanning Course. This comprehensive training is packed with valuable insights to boost your business, helping you to generate more revenue while being the most sought-after sunless artist in your town. Don't miss the opportunity to enhance your skills; visit spraytanclass.com for more information!